Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Our Banner

Psalm 23:5 (NIV) (God is with me) in the presence of my enemies.


Psalm 7:1 (NIV) O LORD my God, I take refuge in you; save and deliver me from all who pursue me,

Psalm 31:15 (NIV) My times are in your hands; deliver me from my enemies and from those who pursue me.

Psalm 34:7 (NIV) The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear him, and he delivers them.

We are continuing our look at "Quiet Confidence for a Woman's Heart" by Elizabeth George. This is a study of Psalm 23. In Chapter 10 Elizabeth George looks at Psalm 23:5 (God is with me) “in the presence of my enemies.”

David’s life was filled with running from his enemies. He had to rely on the help of other people. “Many times David found himself dining in the presence of his enemies.” A guest in Eastern hospitality included protection.

In this chapter, we are introduced to another name of God, Jehovah-Nissi, meaning “the LORD is my banner.” We read about Jehovah-Nissi in Exodus 17:15. Earlier in Exodus, Israel goes into battle with Joshua leading them. Moses stood on a hill with his staff – or the rod of God – in his hand. When Moses had his hand raised, the battle went well. After Israel won the battle, Moses build an altar and named it Jehovah-Nissi, the LORD is my Banner.

“Jehovah-Nissi revealed Israel’s confidence that God was the One who gave them the victory. It was also a reminder that God was the One they should rally around as their banner in future skirmishes.”

“Moses experienced Jehovah-Nissi, the LORD is my Banner in the presence of Israel’s enemies.”

“David, when he wrote these lines in Psalm 23, anticipated ultimate victory and deliverance in the presence of his enemies because he rallied under God’s banner of protection in His home as His guest.”

“We’ve witnessed the situation – the presence of enemies. We’ve experienced the scene the safety and protection of our divine host. And we beheld our Savior – Jehovah-Nissi, the LORD our Banner. Isn’t it wonderful how we’re fully cared for and fully armed with the protection of our God!”

Here are two thought provoking questions the author asks at the end of Chapter 10. Take a moment and ask yourself these questions:

1. What is your favorite promise from the Bible that reminds you of God’s protection?

2. When did you experience a victory or “won a battle” in the presence of your enemies because God’s banner was over you?

Remember today that as you face your adversaries, you have the ultimate victory!

Remember today that you are protected as you stand under Jehovah-Nissi, the LORD is my Banner!

Remember today that as you lift up Jehovah-Nissi, the LORD is my Banner, that deliverance is yours!

Let’s pray. Father, we thank You that You are our Jehovah-Nissi, that You are our Banner! We thank You that You have the ultimate victory. We thank You that we are protected as we stand under You – Jehovah-Nissi. We thank You that as we lift You up that deliverance is ours! Father, touch those reading this that may be facing situations in the presence of their enemies. Help them to know that You are there and that You are their Banner. Help them to know that they are fully protected by You. We thank You, Father, for all that You do in us and through us! In Jesus’ Name, Amen.



Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment