Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Planting Seeds Part II

Yesterday we talked about planting seeds in our life, like peace, joy and strength. We work those seeds by following the principles that were listed. Today, I want to talk about “working it” more along the lines of ministry.

While meditating on the sermon, I was reminded of a ladies retreat that I attended a couple of years ago. My minister friend preached on if you work it, it will grow. What is “it”? “It” can be a ministry, relationships or your spiritual walk. A non-spiritual example would be a sport or instrument that you play. (To get better, you must work it by regular practice.)

With this in mind, we cannot sit idly by and expect these things to grow. We must plant seeds/work it! For me, ministering to women is my passion! I believe my life statement is to see women become the woman God has created them to be. In my local church, I oversee the Heart 2 Heart Women’s Ministry. I am constantly on the lookout for ideas, topics, etc. that I can use. I read blogs and devotions for me as well as to pass on to others that I think will help them. I continually need to work this ministry. If I sit idly by, things will not happen by themselves! I cannot sit still and expect it to grow both in numbers and in spiritual growth. The key is to follow the principles.

I know I need to follow those principles and in part have been doing so. But that particular Sunday things clicked. The dots were connected. I saw the importance of working it – not for my own gain by any means. Rather for the gain in spiritual growth in the women around me. It became clearer that the amount of time and energy that I put into the ministry would be the same as the outcome.

You may teach a Bible class. How much are you working your lessons? Are you waiting until the last moment to even read it? Or are you spending time through the week studying the lesson and praying about it and your students? Putting time and energy into your lesson will bring greater results. The lives of your students will be touched in a greater way.

I want to encourage you today to no longer sit idly by waiting for things to happen in your life. Instead take that step to work it, to cultivate your relationships, your spiritual walk or a ministry that you are involved in.

Tomorrow we will talk about working it with people around us.

Blessings,

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment