Monday, January 11, 2010

Fasting

Our church started the year off with our annual 21 Days of Fasting. We have now reached the mid way point. This past week during our Bible Study, my husband taught on fasting – the reasons we fast as well as the reasons we do not fast (to lose weight) and Old/New Testament examples. One thing that struck me was an Old Testament word used for fasting – “afflict”. Now we don’t afflict our body by beating it with whips, etc. We do fast to crucify our flesh so that we can retune our ears to the Spirit of God, get the heart of God and walk in the power of God – to name a few. To see the study my husband did on fasting out of Isaiah 58:6-14, Click Here.

One of the reasons listed in fasting was to retune our ears to the Spirit of God. In starting the fast, I was reminded of chapter 2 in Lysa Terkeurst’s book “What Happens When Women Say Yes to God” where she talked about five questions she asks herself when hearing from God. Here we are, starting a new year and beginning a fast. We, I, need to hear from God on some things, plus get directions for the new year. I went back to her book and read again chapter 2 talking about the questions. They really are good questions to ask ourselves.

One question she listed was “Is what I’m hearing being confirmed through other messages?” While reading this book with my ladies at church, this question was one that seemed to relate to all of us. Even though it is something we should all know, it was an “oh yeah” moment. We wrapped up the book shortly after the fast started. One lady later shared that during service that God had spoken to her about things she had been praying about. This particular question was one she used in hearing from God. What God was saying to her had been confirmed through other sources.

During this fast, may my flesh be crucified so that I can hear what the Spirit is speaking to me, may I get the heart of God and may I better walk in the power of God during 2010.


Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment