Thursday, January 21, 2010

Follow Me Day 2

Yesterday we talked about the definitions of “Follow Me” and I gave a few scriptures where Jesus made that statement.

One of the definitions for follow is imitate. That is what I want to talk about today.

Yesterday I also shared a story about me as a child playing church in my parent’s living room. My friend and I were imitating what we seen in church. This week we have been in an unscheduled revival, but it sure was good! Anyways, one night the evangelist prayed for a woman to be healed. He then asked her to walk with him and do what he did, or imitate him. He would walk a bit then run and lift his hands and she would do the same. The woman followed him and imitated what he did. Several years ago I was in a service. I can’t remember what the preacher was preaching, but he had a volunteer following him and imitating what he did. I can still picture it. The preacher would run up an aisle then turn left. He would stop and then walk again. He did this for several minutes with the volunteer following him and imitating everything the preacher did.

There is an old saying that says “don’t do as I do, but do as I say”. We must realize that our actions speak volumes and that people are indeed watching us. I submit to you that our actions are much more important that our words. Words can be meaningless, especially when they do not flow from the heart. They can sound good, but have no depth.

We must be an imitator of Christ. Let’s look at one way we can be imitators of Christ.

Jesus was always about doing the will of the Father.

John 5:30 I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.

Life is not about us, but rather it’s about God. We are here not for our own gain, but we are here to do the will of God.

John 4:4 And he must needs go through Samaria.

We read in John 4 where Jesus had left Judea and was heading to Galilee. But on the way there, Jesus needed to stop in Samaria. See, there was a woman at a well that needed to meet Jesus.

So many times we have our own agenda. If we hear the voice of God or the gentle nudge and it is not part of our agenda, we ignore God’s voice or the nudge. We say, not today God, I have no time for that. Not today God, I am too tired. Not now God, my favorite program is coming on. Really? Life is not about us. It’s all about Him. When we become imitators of Christ, how can we sincerely respond like that? Now I know we are not perfect. But we must strive daily to be about the Father’s will. We must remember that we have a heavenly Father that we can go to for strength and help when we feel weak in this area.

The other day when I left work I called a friend who was very upset about something and asked me to pray. When I hung up with her, I started praying. It could have been easy to say that and then find someone else to call rather than pray for her. But I thought about what Jesus would do. In the busyness of His day, He would stop and pray for people.

There are times that as I go through my day that someone needs a kind word, affirmation, a hug, encouragement and more. I must be sensitive enough to hear His voice to recognize those times and be willing to stop what I am doing and give out to someone else.

As I imitate Christ, I must be willing to throw away my agenda, and say “yes” to His voice, His nudge. I must remember that it is not all about me but rather it is all about Him and doing His will each day.

Let’s pray. Father, we desire to be imitators of Christ. Help us to remember that it’s not about us but it’s all about Jesus. Help us to be about Your will daily. Thank You Father that we can come to You for strength and help when we struggle in this area. We give You praise for working in our lives. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment