Tuesday, March 23, 2010

My Peace

“He leads me beside still waters” Psalm 23:2b

John 14:27 (NIV) Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

John 14:27 (The Message) I'm leaving you well and whole. That's my parting gift to you. Peace. I don't leave you the way you're used to being left—feeling abandoned, bereft. So don't be upset. Don't be distraught.

Psalm 29:11 (NIV) 11 The LORD gives strength to his people; the LORD blesses his people with peace.

Isaiah 26:3 (NIV) You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you.

My ladies and I are reading "Quiet Confidence for a Woman's Heart" by Elizabeth George. This is a study of Psalm 23. In Chapter 4 Elizabeth George looks at Psalm 23:2b "He leads me beside still waters."

There are several things that causes us to seek peace. Busyness is probably at the top of all of our lists. Responsibility, I think, would come close to busyness. Stress comes to mind, but it is probably a result of either busyness or responsibility. Any kind of strife would cause us to seek peace.

What are some other things that causes you to seek peace?

Psalms 23:2 tells us that our Great Shepherd, Jehovah-Rohi, leads (a characteristic of Jehovah-Rohi) us beside still waters.

When I think of still waters, I picture calm water, restful water, peaceful water. When we feel like we are coming unglued and everything is falling apart, the last thing we need is rushing, raging water – as in a rapid. Rather, we need to sit by the still waters and let peace envelope us.

Elizabeth George says in Chapter 4 “Have you visited the still waters of God’s peace and comfort lately? The waters are there … waiting for you. And the Shepherd is there too. … God gives you His peace, and He extends rest to the weary and renewal to the exhausted.”

Isn't it wonderful to know that the Shepherd is there for us ready to give us the peace of the quiet waters that we so desperately need!

Tomorrow we will continue our look at Chapter 4 and look at another name for God found in Psalm 23:2.

Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment