Thursday, July 22, 2010

Serving Others

Serving others. I have had some thoughts swirling around this week. It all started on Monday when I read Week 5 of “If We are the Body” Bible study. You can read about it here.

The other night my husband and I went to visit our oldest church member, Grandma Lampie, who is 96 years old and in a nursing home. She has been there about a week and we had a great visit. She made us laugh and we made her laugh. I watched my husband interact with her. He would say something and she would give him “the look” like what are you talking about. I can picture it now. She and I worked together to give him a hard time, which he did not mind at all. While we were there, her dinner arrived. I got everything situated and then my husband fed her. I would wipe her mouth and help him. When she said she was done (after only a few bites), he would tell her he had another bite all ready for her so she would eat it. He was able to do that a couple of times before she said she was completely done.

When we left, I thought about how my husband served Grandma Lampie, by making her laugh, showing her love as well as feeding her. Needless to say, I was so proud of him.

My husband is a great example of someone who serves. Even though he is the senior pastor, he gets in and gets dirty - if need be.

Today, our society seems to be more concerned with self than with serving others. They want to make sure they are taken care of first, that they get their stuff done first, that their needs are met first. As Christians, we are called to serve so we must fight our flesh in order to do so.

In the church, we rely on people to serve in various capacities. When that doesn’t happen, the church suffers. The nursery is an important area that needs a lot of people to serve in, but few who will commit. There are times when some will commit in word, however when their time comes, there is always something else to do. That creates a hole in the ministry of the church.

Some may ask if I serve others, who will serve me? When thinking about this, I felt the Lord say to me, if you serve others, I will take care of you.

Gina, in her post for Week 5 states
“Our mind set should be one that is “others oriented.” We should rely on the Holy Spirit to lead us throughout the day into acts of service: whether big or small, whether noticed or not noticed; through a word, or an action, or silence, anything that puts another before ourselves. It may mean meeting a need regardless of the time of day or night, and being content to have, as Richard Foster describes it, “the divine nod of approval,” or, as Ephesians 6:7 says, doing service “as unto the Lord and not unto men.”’
This week I have been more mindful of serving others on my job, especially in the little things. I have been more mindful of showing appreciation to others and affirming them. To be honest, my concern is that I will get walked on and taken advantage of. That all may happen, however, I cannot let it stop me from being led by the Spirit in acts of service. I do desire the “divine nod of approval” and serving “as unto the Lord and not unto men”.

Let’s determine within ourselves that we will gladly serve others in word, in action, in big ways, in small ways, in secret, in open, in daytime, in nighttime, all for the Glory of God. Let’s determine within ourselves that we will be the hands and feet of Jesus to serve those around us whether friends, family, co-workers or complete strangers. Let us give of ourselves. After all, Christ gave of Himself completely by dying on the Cross.

Let’s go out and serve others!

Let’s pray. Father, I thank You for reminding me this week of my need to serve others more. Help me to serve others sacrificially without thought to self. Give me grace when I don’t think I can go on. Help me to be led by You to bless others. I thank You for my wonderful husband who is an example of one who serves. Continue to use him and bless him. I pray for those reading this that You will help as they serve others. Thank You Father! We praise You and give You glory for all that You do! In Jesus’ Name, Amen.



Blessings,

1 comment:

  1. Great post. You have some very thought provoking thoughts. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete