Thursday, January 6, 2011

Acts of Kindness

As we continue our study of kindness, let’s look to people in the Old and New Testament that exhibited kindness.


2 Kings 4:8-10
In the Old Testament, the Shunammite woman was someone who noticed the prophet Elisha passing by her house with place to sleep or eat. Elizabeth George writes in her book A Woman’s Walk with God that “kindness went into action as she persuaded him to eat food. As she cared and thought and noticed, she soon realized that he had no other place to stay.” Acting on her concern she asked her husband to make a little room for him to stay in. “This woman’s eyes were open, and so was her heart and her home. In her kindness, she noticed Elisha’s needs.”

Acts 9:36
In the New Testament, Dorcas was someone who noticed people’s needs. She is described as a woman “abounding with deeds of kindness and charity” which included sewing garments for the widows. Elizabeth George writes “What had Dorcas seen with her eyes and heard with her ears? She had noticed that the widows needed clothes – and she acted.”


Ms. George writes of a story that Anne Ortlund shares in her book Disciplines of the Beautiful Woman that shows us a woman who walks in kindness. This story is a great example for us to follow.

“Mrs. Ortlund writes of “a Hawaiian woman who strings a number of leis early each Sunday morning, not for anyone in particular! Then she goes to church praying ‘Lord, who needs my leis today? A new comer? Someone discouraged. Lead me to the right people.’”

“Yes, this is clearly a picture of kindness – a person filled with God’s love going out looking; kindness planning to do something; kindness keeping a keen eye out and noticing others; kindness actively seeking those who are in need.”

What are some ways that you have been on the receiving end of (random) acts of kindness? Take a moment to jot down some examples. Once you start thinking about it and writing them down, you will realize how much you are on the receiving end.

An example for me is someone holding the elevator door. I work in a building with 25 floors and sometimes I can have a long wait for an elevator. I always express my appreciation to the person for waiting on me. Another similar example is someone holding a door for you. Continuing with my work, something else would be when someone offers to help me with a task when they see I am crunched for time. Our copier/printer is on the other side of the floor from my desk. We all tend to print stuff and not pick it up right away. Sometimes people will bring my documents to me and sometimes I will take people their documents. I always aim to show my appreciation. And I always try to extend the same kindness to others around me. I think it is very important for us to show our appreciation for shown kindness.

A lady in our church bakes a variety of cookies for us every year at Christmas time. Her cookies are delicious and we all enjoy them.

A couple in our church has a son that plays football with my son. They are always willing to help us with picking up or bringing home Stephen when we are not able to be at practice.

I have asked this question every day this week and will ask it again. What will it take for you to step up in your relationship with God to better become a Woman of Kindness?

Let’s live a lifestyle of kindness.

Let’s pray. Father, I thank You for those that show kindness to me in so many different ways. They are such a blessing to me and my family. I ask You to help me to live a lifestyle of kindness and to better become a Woman of Kindness. I ask You to help me learn to be concerned about those around me and to be aware of their situations and circumstances. Help me to notice others just as Dorcas noticed the widows. Thank You Father for all that You do. We love and appreciate You. We declare that there is none like You! In Jesus’ Name, Amen.



Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment