Friday, January 14, 2011

Conference on Communication

Today I attended a conference on communication through my job. It was absolutely fabulous! I could have sat there all day and come back for another day.

The conference was through star12 and featured Dr. Kimberly Ventus-Darks. I left the conference excited about implementing what I had learned into both my personal and professional life. If you ever get an opportunity to hear her, please take advantage of it. You will be so glad you did!

She made a few statements, one I had heard before and two others I had not. They are:

If you always do what you have always done, then you will always get what you have always got!!!



• If you want something that you have never had then you need to do something you have never done!


• If you always think the way that you have always thought then you will always get what you have always got!!
Some other points she made that really stood out to me include:

She also talked about asking. I am going to write something on this in the next few days. I feel it swirling around in my mind and can’t wait to get it down on paper.
We look at people based on their maturity, not their age.  (They could be 50 years old but act like a 20 year old.)

I like this one –
Everything you say you should do, is exactly what you should do. Undone should become I wish I would.

If we like ourselves more, we won’t be impressed with others.  (This is one that I have struggled with. Growing up, pastor’s wives always sang and played the piano. I do not do either one. In fact, when my husband was traveling as an evangelist, someone asked me one time - what do you do? I have to accept who I am and all that God has created me to be and not be concerned with what I do not have or cannot do.)

If you don’t speak up, you lose your rights to complain!

When people show you who they are, believe them the first time.

I am who I say I am.  (Don’t allow people to say who you are.)


Hope you all have a wonderful and blessed weekend!

Donna

 

No comments:

Post a Comment