Thursday, October 8, 2009

Choking Part 2

Recently we talked about “choking” when God asks us to do something. I shared about the book I have been reading titled “What Happens When Women Say Yes to God” by Lysa Terkeurst.

When we say yes to God completely, we choose not to choke.

What causes us to choke, to not say Yes to God. We have talked about fear and I used Peter walking on the water as an example of fear. I think we can all attest that fear hinders us in so many ways. The fear of failure. The fear of the unknown. The fear of getting out of my comfort zone.

Another cause of choking is cost. What will it cost me to say yes completely?

· If I say yes, I might miss my favorite show.
· If I say yes, I might miss my Sunday afternoon nap.
· If I say yes, I might miss my exercise class.
· If I say yes, my house might get messed up.

The list could go on. Let me ask a question. In the scheme of life and death, is all of this really important? Immediately our answer would be “no”. But how we live our life is the real answer to the question.

In order to say Yes to God and not choke, we need to hear the voice of God speaking to us. We need to be so in tuned to the voice of God that we hear Him speak to us in any kind of way. We learn to hear His voice more clearly by spending time in His presence. Mothers know the voice of their child in a room filled with other children. Mothers also learn the different cries of their baby. This is because they spend lots of time with their child. If we are in a room filled with people and distractions, we should be able to hear God when He calls out to us.

Not only do we need to hear the voice of God, but we also need to have quick obedience. Quick obedience combats choking. Often times we actually argue with God when He calls us to do something – God, you know I can’t do that or God, I don’t have time to do that, or are You sure You want me to do this and so on. This is the start of choking. When we learn or we have quick obedience, we move as soon as we hear the voice of God speaking to us. There is no room for fear, no room for doubt, no room to choke.

May we hear the voice of God speak to us and may we act upon His call with quick obedience!

Let’s pray. Father, I long to hear Your voice speaking to me and then act with quick obedience, doing away with fear or doubt, not worrying about what it will cost me to act on Your call. Help me to not worry about how I will look or what others may say. Help me to only be concerned with pleasing You. I ask that You also help others who are reading this today and yearn to hear Your voice and act with quick obedience. Thank You Father for using me, using us, to do Your bidding! In Jesus’ Name Amen.

Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment