Monday, February 22, 2010

My Shepherd

My ladies and I are now reading "Quiet Confidence for a Woman's Heart" by Elizabeth George. This is a study of Psalm 23. In Chapter 1 Elizabeth George looks at Psalm 23:1a - "The LORD is my shepherd".

Over the next few days we will look more closely at this verse and the various meanings of "Shepherd". In Hebrew "the LORD is my Shepherd" is translated Jehovah-Rohi.

Today we will look at scriptures about Shepherd to lay the ground work for our discussion.

John 10:14-16 (NIV) "I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me— 15just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep. 16I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd.

Psalm 77:20 (NIV) You led your people like a flock by the hand of Moses and Aaron

Psalm 78:52 (NIV) But he brought his people out like a flock; he led them like sheep through the desert.


Psalm 79:13 (NIV) Then we your people, the sheep of your pasture, will praise you forever; from generation to generation we will recount your praises

Psalm 80:1 (NIV) Hear us, O Shepherd of Israel, you who lead Joseph like a flock; you who sit enthroned between the cherubim, shine forth

<!--[endif]-->Hebrews 13:20 (NIV) May the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep,

<!--[endif]-->1 Peter 2:25 (NIV) For you were like sheep going astray, but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls.


1 Peter 5:4 (NIV) And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that will never fade away.


Tomorrow we will look at the first of two meanings of Shepherd, Jehovah-Rohi.

  1. to feed
  2. to lead

Let's pray. Father, we thank You that You are our Great Shepherd, our Jehoval Rohi. We thank You that You take care of us. Thank You for all that You do in us individually and corporately. in Jesus' Name, amen.

Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment