Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Dorcas

Today's devotion is written by Mary Davis, a woman in my church.  Mary is a gifted writer and bible teacher.  Mary is a woman after God's own heart full of compassion for others!

"And when the Lord saw her, he had compassion on her, and said to her, weep not." 
Luke 7:13


If someone had asked her, "Dorcas, what is that in your hand?"  She could have said, compassion, for she was such a woman.  Full of good works, Dorcas saw a need and acted on that need.

Our Lord said, "I have compassion for the people."  Following her Lord's example, Dorcas was a 'doer,' a woman who exercised her faith by putting it into action ... action that reached out to the needy.  Jesus said in Matthew 25:35-40, "I was hungry and you fed me: Thirsty and you gave me something to drink: A stranger and you invited me into your home: Naked and you gave me clothes: Sick and you took care of me: In prison and you visited me."  This was Dorcas' mission - it was her heart.  Like Jesus "Who went about doing good", Dorcas followed suit.  Compassion was her crowing glory.

Heavenly Father, You always were and are a compassionate, loving Father.  Your compassion is evident in the crucifixion of your blessed Son Jesus.  David speaks of Your immense compassion in Psalm 103:3-14.  As we reflect on Dorcas and her compassionate acts of mercy, guide us as we pray corporately and individually for this kind of compassion.  As we pray, teach us how to minister to others through acts of compassion.

Thank you Father, Amen.

Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment