Monday, June 14, 2010

Strength to Believe for the Promise

Genesis 12:2-3 (NIV) 2 "I will make you into a great nation and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing. 3 I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you."


Genesis 22:17-19 (NIV) 17 I will surely bless you and make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and as the sand on the seashore. Your descendants will take possession of the cities of their enemies, 18 and through your offspring [a] all nations on earth will be blessed, because you have obeyed me."

Abraham was called by God to leave his country and go to a land he did not know. By faith he obeyed and started his journey, even though he did not know where God would take him. As the days passed and then years, He needed strength to believe the promise of God.

He and Sarah waited a very long time for the promise of a son. Throughout his journey, he tried to bring forth the promise of God on his own. But that did not work.

God told Abraham “I will surely bless you and make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and as the sand on the seashore”. What a promise! I can only imagine the waiting for the promise to come to pass.

We have been at our church for almost five years. During that time, God has spoken to me, my husband and others specifically about the church. So far, we have not seen anything come to pass. I confess that it has been hard at times, trying to believe for the promise. I have wondered if it will ever happen. Then the Lord will remind me of the promise(s) and strengthen me to continue believing. This happened the other Sunday during worship. I was thinking about the promises that have been given and I looked around (in the natural) and wondered if they would ever come to pass. We started singing a song about trusting God and the Lord began to minister to me and strengthen me. I began to pray over and over with conviction “God, I trust You. I trust in Your Name. I trust in Your Word. I trust in Your Word spoken to us.”

I still don’t see the promise coming to pass – in the natural - but I trust God to do so. I believe that God will continue to strengthen me to believe for the promise, just as He strengthened Abraham.

What about you? Are you believing for promises God has given you? How is your strength in the waiting holding up? Allow God to minister strength to you as you believe for your promises.

Let’s pray. Father, we thank you for the promises You have spoken to us. You know that our strength runs low while we are believing for those promises. We ask You Father to strengthen us to continue believing. I pray now for those reading this that are believing for promises, no matter what they are. I ask that You minister to them right where they are at in a special way and that their strength will be renewed. Father, we trust You to bring all the promises You have spoken to us to pass. We thank You and give You all praise! In Jesus’ Name, Amen.


Blessings,

2 comments:

  1. Donna,

    Thanks so much for your comments on my posts. I just posted again at Julie's and it is exactly the same subject matter that you posted about today. You need to hop over there and read it.

    http://hisloveextendedministries.blogspot.com/2010/06/guest-post-behind-scenes-and-silent-by.html

    I was specifically praying that God would tell me what to post at Julie's and I felt He wanted me to post the one on waiting...

    Maybe it's just for YOU. :)

    Thanks for always encouraging me with your sweet words. You have no idea what it means to me.

    Blessings while you wait...
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a true post, Donna! I'm reminded that His ways are not our ways - including timetables!! So encouraged to hear that you are continuing to trust God to bring about what He has promised. It's also relieving to know that we don't have to bring about His promises on our own - He will bring them to pass! Stay encouraged and watch God bring about His promise!!

    In response to your comment over @ Life Lessons: Thanks for your beautiful comment! Love your observation, "May we make ourselves available to be saturated by Him today!" God's blessings on you this week!

    ReplyDelete