Monday, June 7, 2010

We All Need Strength

Strength.  It is something we all need in various forms.  I spoke at our Mother's Day Banquet last month.  In praying about what God wanted me to share, He gave me several things to remind the ladies.  One of the things He wanted me to remind the ladies was that He is our strength!

As I thought about the ladies in my church and the things they are facing, I thought about how they needed strength in their lives - God's strength, not their own.  I thought about my own life and how I needed God's strength desperately. 

I began to think about different people in the Bible and how they needed God's strength in different ways.  Over the next weeks, I will be talking about the different men and women in the Bible and how they needed strength.

Let's begin with a definition of strength which comes from Webster's online dictionary:
the quality or state of being strong: capacity for exertion or endurance; power to resist force; power of resisting attack.



In Psalms we find the word strength used many, many times.  These are just a few.
  • Psalm 28:7 "The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped.  My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song."
  • Psalm 29:11 "The LORD gives strength to his people; the LORD blesses his people with peace."
  • Psalm 46:1 "God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble."
  • Psalm 84:5 "Blessed are those whose strength is in you, who have set their hearts on pilgrimage."
  • Psalm 105:4 "Look to the LORD and his strength; seek his face always."
Proverbs 31:25 "She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come."  Maybe that last phrase "she can laugh at the days to come" is speaking prophetically to you.  Maybe you need to hear that things my be horrific now, but in the days to come you will laugh.  Grab hold of that and cling to it until it happens!

There are several references in Isaiah that I like.
  • Isaiah 12:2 "Sure God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid.  The LORD, the LORD, is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation."
  • Isaiah 40:29 "He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak."
  • Isaiah 40:30-31 "Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength.  They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."
  • Isaiah 41:10 "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.  I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."
Take hold of these verses and be reminded today that God is your strength!  Come back next Monday and we will continue with our discussion about the men and women in the Bible who needed strength.  We will start with Abraham.

Let's pray.  Father, we thank you for reminding us today that You are our strength!  We can depend on You.  We can lean on You.  We can trust You.  Father, there are many times when I desperately need your strength to get through the situtation, get through the day, get through the moment.  I know that You are there and You are helping me and strengthening me.  Thank You Father, for Your strength in my life.  In Jesus' Name, Amen.


Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment